Monday, July 6, 2015

Mail Art for Jori

I've been thinking about mail art for awhile and thought I'd do something for my niece, Jori.  She painted a painting of a mission for her 4th grade mission project and did such a great job, my sister entered it in the county fair.  Not only did she win 1st place in her division but also best of show!!  So exciting for her as she was so nervous about it.

I wanted to send her a congratulations card but just forgot about it.  She's at camp this week and my sister sent me her address to write her a note.

So...by combining my need to send something to my niece and this color challenge on the Twinkle Twinkle website.  I came up with this:

Back View


The Summer of Color (SOC) challenge for this week (Week 5 - yes I started late) are green + green + pink.  I tried to use only the three color selections, but added a third green with the pistachio spray.  I also added black and white for accents.

This was so fun to make!  I know she'll be so excited to get this in the mail at camp.  I wrote her a letter and I'll stuff it with some riddles or something too.  I am definitely going to make more of these!

This is a total upcycle project since the envelopes I used are castoffs from my work.  I primed them with gesso and then layered the lt. green and bright pink paint.  Since the colors weren't quite dry, some of the combined color was an orangey color.  Very pretty.  I used my fingers to apply the dark grass green in circles.  Then I used one of my hot glue gun masks and the spray to add some texture.  After that I just added black rings and white rings.  Smeared white paint all over and used some bubble wrap for the small dots.  I used a handmade circle stencil to add some lt. pink circles (added white to the bright pink paint).  Stamped in black ink the flower (SU!) and text print.  Used a fine point black sharpie for squiggles and my white sharpie for more random dots, squiggles, and doodles.

28 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a creative and absolutely beautiful project! I love, LOVE what you did with this week's colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your envelope. It came out awesome with this weeks colors. I'm sure your niece will love it. Great work.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Your work is beautiful and I'm so happy to have you join the SOC! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful!! I love the colors and the design!! It's fabulous!! Your niece will adore it!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only NEW comer. Your entry is just darling and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Mail art can be so vivid and interesting! I like the blending and layering you've added to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you made this. Beautiful work for SOC, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab project, love the wonderful colours.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely adorable envelope!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece of art to receive in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't that be something to find in the mailbox. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous mailart, love it, I pinned on my Pinterest board

    ReplyDelete
  13. who wouldn't LOVE to receive this in the mail- gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely mail art!
    I bet your niece will be thrilled when she receives this beautiful envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fabulous idea. Your envelope is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you were able to join in, even though it is a bit late. However, the envelope is gorgeous, and I truly ADORE recycled projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! Arent you the coolest Aunt ever! I'm sure your niece will be very proud to get your wonderful artwork at camp!!! I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your mail art! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. very nice :) would have loved to get that in the mail as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!