Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Big as an Ocean

This stupid boot on my right foot really makes it hard to go anywhere.  Not only does my foot ache, I'm pretty much housebound.  I really need to get to the library since I just finished my seventh book for Carly and my Summer Reading Marathon.

Carly and I have challenged ourselves since she first started to read.  When we first started, she would read mostly picture books with few words and always outread me, but the last five or six years has found our numbers pretty close.  So what we do is read, read, read from the last day of school to the first day of the new school year.  One year, we both read 21 books!  That's pretty amazing for a 2 1/2 month spread.  Like I said, I just finished book seven.  BTW, she's 21 now so we've been doing this for 15 years.

Boy, I got off on a completely different subject.  LOL

I finished up another Art Journal entry this evening.  This is an entry inspired by the Anything But Cute challenge site.

Here's the mood board:


And here's my finished project along with a close up:


I started the page with acrylic blue paint and some white bubble wrap circles.  I added the "sand" by using Mudd Puddles Tahiti Sand that I purchased at the Scrapbook Expo two years ago - had to have it but of course this is the first time I've used it.  The nautical stamps are from SU! (1998); shells also from SU!; migrating birds from Stampscapes (Rubber Paws goodie).  Skeleton Leaf from Rubba Dub Dub (also from Rubber Paws).  Small white rings were added by dipping a straw into white acrylic paint; handcut hearts shadowed with markers.   The yellow circles were added by using the mini punchinella stencil from Balzar Designs.

I'm entering this in the Simon Says Monday Challenge site as well since this week is "Anything Goes".  Click here to go to their website.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the colors!! The texture and details are amazing!! What a stunning project this is!! I'm a voracious reader...I finish a book every two to three days. I never leave the house without one, either!! Never know if you'll get stuck in traffic!! What a fun tradition for you and your daughter!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thats so pretty - the colours are perfect! I love to read - its so relaxing, I cannot read on a kindle, it has to be a book - I think there is something special about holding a book and turning the pages! Maybe I am old fashioned! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art journal page! Love your fabulously blended colours and rich texture! Awesome doodling and that old fence is amazing! Fantastic make!
    Thank you so much for joining in our 'Summer Romance' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful page Dorlene! I love all the wonderful summery colours and the little fence is such a great detail! Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Summer Romance' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous take on our challenge! Love the sentiment and that little seagull sitting on a wooden post...I love the little details you added and the straw dipped in paint is a genius way to add illusion of water/air bubbles...
    Thank you so very kindly for joining the Summer Romance Challenge I am hosting this month at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great journal page! I love the colors, your sweet painted and hand cut hearts, and that genius idea to use a straw to make the bubbles! I also had a chuckle over the use of the Tahiti sand (finally!) Sounds like something I would do!

    Thank you for joining our Summer Romance challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily DT PS Keep reading! I am on my 3rd summer with the same book, and still not finished! I only read it on vacation. I really do like to read, but this is one big, slow book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!