Thursday, July 2, 2015

Day Dreaming

I am in love with Mixed Media!  I love how a project can start one way, but end up completely different.  Of course, this may be the way I mixed media.  I'm sure most artists plan their projects and select techniques and steps according to their plan - that is so not me.

I started this project thinking I was going to do a two page project in my art journal.  I am participating in the "What If?" challenge on Splitcoaststampers and wanted to try something different.  I saw this technique where you place glue on a page as a mask.  So, I set off to perfect this technique.

Once the glue dried, I selected four acrylic paint colors.  Plum, Lemon Yellow, Surf Blue, and Orange. I painted the first three paints all over the pages, no specific plan in mind.  I used bubble wrap to apply the orange paint.  Once the paint dried, I spritzed my water/white paint solution all over.  I love this spritz!  No matter how often I clean the nozzle, the paint comes out in full force.  I then added my blue ink/water solution to the page.  The blue ink I dipped the stick into the spray bottle and dripped dots all over the page.

Once that dried, I went back and peeled the glue.  For some reason it worked for the right page but not for the left.  The paper pulled up with the glue on the left side so I left it.  I liked the 3D effect of the lines.

See the difference:


Since both sides didn't work out the same, I changed my mind and did a one page entry.  I still didn't know what I planned to do so I set it aside.  Later, I was on Facebook and my friend Nancy posted a beautiful photo of the sunset.  It just so happened to have similar colors to my page - yellow, purple, orange and blue.  So, inspired by the sunset photo, I took another look at my page.


Inspiration Photo:


The bottom third was mostly yellow so I added some green watercolor marker to create a hill.  I spritzed the page with water and then scribbled.  All of a sudden the random shapes looked like trees so I drew branches and trunks around them to mimic trees.

Once I found my inspiration and my direction, there was no stopping me!  I first thought I'd do another "She Art", but then remembered I had this "Dreaming of You" stamp that I won from http://yournextstamp.com/shop/ on the Let's Scrap Challenge Blog.  This cutie is leaning back and dreaming....  Oh my gosh!  LOVE this girlie for my page.

More photos:








Then added the words "Day Dreaming And I'm Thinking Of You".  The sentiment included with the little cutie is "dreaming of you" so I stamped this as trunk and multiple times in the right corner.  Made a few more additions and viola!

Finished page:

Don't you just love that little day dreamer?  As you can already tell, I paper pieced the girl with scrap paper and highlighted with pens in my stash.


The black marks are added by dipping the corrugated side of a Starbucks coffee sleeve into black ink.  The little flowers and butterfly are part of the girl stamp.  I accidentally got plum paint on one of the word strips and loved the way it looked so I "accidentally" did it to all of them.  Drew lines - highlighted - etc.

1 comment:

  1. That daydreamer is sooo cute! I love your finished page.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!