I am so excited about the current challenge at Bitten By The Bug 2 (BBTB2) Cricut challenge site. The challenge theme is recycle. Now, I feel like I'm always recycling but then I realized, I don't think I'm actually recycling - I think I'm upcycling!
So the way I understand it is that recycling is using something bound for the trash & using it a whole new way and upcycling is basically giving something an updo. Is that right? What's your opinion on this? Does it even really matter? LOL Either way, it's fun!
Well, it took awhile to figure out my recycling project for the current challenge and this is what I came up with:
I recycled a couple of old jars into super cool lanterns! I watched a YouTube video on the Plaid YouTube channel and was instantly inspired to make my own version.
Aren't these fabulous! I know it's too early for Halloween, but you know it's just around the corner and I thought these will be perfect for my porch.
How I made them:
- Remove the label from the jars
- Create a mixture of Mod Podge & food coloring to get the color you want (I used gloss Mod Podge and red & yellow food coloring to make orange)
- Pour the glue mixture into the jars and swirl around until you get full coverage
- Turn the jars upside down to drip out the excess glue; let dry overnight
- Once dry, use multiple Halloween images in Design Space* to create the pumpkin faces & words with black vinyl
- Wipe the outside of the jars with alcohol before adding the vinyl
- Decorate the jar rims with fabric scraps or twine like I did
- Drop a battery operated tea light in & enjoy!
What are you going to recycle using your Cricut? Please link your project at the BBTB2 challenge site. Be sure to include how you used your Cricut to create your project.
*Happy Pumpkin Face Decal