Monday, March 11, 2019

BBTB2; Green Challenge

Hey friends, the current challenge at Bitten By The Bug challenge site is GREEN or St. Patrick's Day.

Like I'm sure most of us did, I initially thought of making a St. Patrick's Day project but decided to make something with a cactus instead.

I took a chance on another HOT MESS CANVAS. My first attempt was unsuccessful since I used shelf liner for the mask and the paint seeped through too much. This time I used vinyl. Huge difference! The vinyl stuck better to the canvas and there was no seepage!

I started painting the canvas and then decided to film...oh my gosh, it is hilarious! I didn't set up my tripod and just used my hand to film and it is ALL over the place. I was going to discard the whole thing, but then I decided to use it. I hope you're not too annoyed and think it's funny too.

So...here's the final project:
What I did:
I used multiple shades of green and purple acrylic paint to cover the canvas. Since it's called a hot mess canvas - don't worry about making it pretty - you just want it to be random.
I purposely put the purple on the bottom because of the pot.
I cut the mask using my Cricut and a freebie image on Design Space. Use vinyl to create the mask.  Cut the image; weed it and put it on the transfer sheet.


Once your canvas is dried, adhere the vinyl. I used a little bit of Modge Podge to seal the vinyl to prevent seepage. When I say a little bit, I mean a little bit. I concentrated where the cut out words were but other than that, not much.

Paint over the mask with black acrylic paint. Be sure to pounce the brush over the mask as you would when painting over a stencil - again, this helps with seepage.

This is the hard part...waiting for the paint to dry. Once it does, remove the vinyl.

Don't forget to click on over to BBTB2 and join the current challenge. Create something inspired by the color GREEN.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like a lot of work went into your project. The finished product looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never seen this done before so thanks for the great idea! I thought it was a card on the blog until I got here. TFS and I’ll have to watch your video. It’s great that you share the messy and not perfect moments. -Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome technique! I am gonna have to do one of my canvases like this! great idea! thanks for sharing

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great! I haven't made one, but now that you have a video out, I can do it! I like the black. I'm into succulents now too. Maybe I'll make this exact one - spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!