Monday, October 23, 2017

Challenge Accepted!

Future DIL: The 7' 3D Eiffel Tower for the photo backdrop is too expensive so we're not going to have it for the party.

Me: What?! But it was going to be so cool!

Future DIL: That's ok (with a disappointed tone)

Me: I'm going to make one!  Yes, it can't be that hard. It's basically a triangle.

DS3: Yeah mom! You can do it!

Me:  Yes I can.  Challenge accepted.

That was the conversation about a month ago.  Now I'm more like, "what the heck was I thinking?"



I started with two large boxes. I duct taped pieces together, measured & cut the shape and then hated it. That's so not me. I'm more of a "yeah, that looks about right" kind of person. Then I took a step back, started sketching on the cardboard freehand, cut some more & decided it really does look like the Eiffel Tower!

Now for the details... First I painted all sides in white paint; then outlined the edges in black and then just went for it as far as the tower details. I mean, it is supposed to look like the Eiffel Tower, not BE the Eiffel Tower. I then cut & attached additional pieces to both complete the look of the tower and also add extra reinforcement.
My coworker saved some awesome corner pieces the were in a box supporting computers. They are super heavy & sturdy. I added these to the bottoms & the (I'm calling it) spine. This will help the tower stand on its own. Swoon!
By the way, this beauty is 8' tall! It's too tall for my house, so the final assembly will take place the night before the party. I didn't take a photo, but I also used glitter spray all over it. When the sparkling Christmas lights are attached, it's going to be so awesome!

Materials:  Cardboard, paint, duct tape, E6000 glue, box cutter, pencil or marker, glitter spray, Christmas lights

1 comment:

  1. My gosh, you did an amazing job with it!! Wow!! I'm so impressed!! I'd love to see a picture when it's standing with the lights!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!