Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Countdown to Christmas 2016: Owl Magnets

You know when you start on the internet, Pinterest, etc., you start one place but end up who knows where because you've clicked over so many times?  Well, that happened to me when I saw these cute owl magnets!  I don't remember where I saw them or who came up with this cute idea, but I'm sharing now.

Isn't he adorable?!
Each owl requires the following materials:
  • One Cardboard Coffee Sleeve
  • Two Googly Eyes
  • Magnet
  • Scissors & Hot Glue (if you don't use hot glue, any glue will work but then you'll need a rubber band as well to hold the pieces together while the glue dries)
Pull the sleeve apart to give you one long piece.  Cut off both ends to leave you with a rectangle shape (about an inch off each side).  Cut that long rectangle in half lengthwise and then in half again.  This leaves you with four long strips.
With the corrugated side on the outside, roll one of the strips into a tight circle and glue the end.  Do this with two of the strips to make two eyes.  Put them aside.
The remaining two strips, roll into a tight circle and adhere.  Glue the second strip continuing on the same circle to make a slightly larger rolled circle.  This is the body.
Glue the eyes to the top of the body. 
With the remaining pieces, cut out two teardrop shaped pieces for the wings.  Then cut out two skinny wonky triangles for the eyebrows and one triangle for the beak.  See the photo for a visual.
Glue everything onto the owl base and then add googly eyes and a magnet strip to the back.
I added a punched heart, but wouldn't it look adorable with a scarf?  I left mine pretty basic, but you could draw ruffles on the wings or turn the cardboard around so the sleeve printing is on the outside.  That would be great with a colored or designed sleeve.  Get creative - Make it your own!  After all that's what we do!

I'm bringing my bag of supplies to work to have a Craft Day at work.  My coworkers love it when I do these.

My coworker made glasses out of a paper clip and glued them on.  Clever!


Another one went outside to find a twig to attach to the bottom.  Cute!




With all the lessons, I ended up making four for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!