Thursday, March 12, 2015

Canvas and Cabernet & Caroline

Oh my goodness!  So last weekend two of my sisters and I went to a place called Canvas and Cabernet in Walnut Creek - last minute plans for my sister Caroline's birthday.  And YES, it's just as the business name implies...painting while drinking wine.  Check out their website here.

They provide the canvas, paints, brushes, apron and instruction and we purchase drinks of our choice.

So here's the basic idea of the place:
Each session focuses on a specific painting.  The instructor/host takes you one step at a time to paint that particular painting.  It's basically a "Paint by Numbers" and can be as simple or difficult as you make it.  Follow the directions...simple - Get creative...more difficult. As you can imagine, each artist created their own version of the featured painting.

Before I reveal mine, I want to let you know the featured painting on this particular session was Van Gough's Iris.  Out of all the pieces of art they offer, this is probably my least favorite.  But, my hope was to learn something that I didn't already know.  I've never had an art lesson therefore I was looking forward to it.

Here's my painting:




After the "instruction" was done, I knew this would not be something I'd hang up so before leaving, I added the loopy outlines around the flower petals and also, dipped my wine cup in paint for the circles in the dirt.  I then added some white and black accents.  Still don't love it, but felt better about the painting.


It was a lot of fun, but I wish we would have received more tips on painting.  The class is definitely geared towards the beginner.


But, a good time had by all and a great way to celebrate a birthday!

Linking to the Craft Therapy Thursday Link Party Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!