Monday, October 23, 2023

Recycled Fence Boards


My son has lots of old fence wood and I asked hubby to cut a few down for me. You know I LOVE a good recycling project and this one did not disappoint!

DISCLAIMER: My hubby is not normally a DIY person but he jumped in two feet first and I was so happy! He was also my photographer on the "action" shots.

After hubby cut them down, I used a sander to sand the edges and any rough spots before spray painting them.


The orange paint we have was more of a reddish orange. Even though I didn't like it for this project, I didn't want to buy another one so I decided to spray a layer of white paint first and then a coat of the orange. It was still too reddish for my liking so brushed on some orange acrylic paint to lighten it up and add more color variation to these pieces.




Once that dried, I dry brushed a little black around the edges to give it a distressed look. These are very rugged looking!



During the painting process, hubby cut 3" stems from a branch from one of our trees - yes, you guessed it. I'm making pumpkins.

I used my Cricut to create stencils for the letters and the jack-o-lantern face - I did not like the stencil vinyl on my last wood project so I just used some scrap vinyl for these. Once the vinyl was adhered, I used my fingers to add a thin layer of Mod Podge to seal the edges before adding black acrylic paint with a sponge. This helps avoid paint leakage under the stencil.


I used E6000 glue to adhere the stems to the top of each pumpkin and wood pieces on the back to work as a kickstand for these. 


Now to add some leaves and raffia to each stem to complete the project.

What do you think?


So super cute! I am so in love with how these turned out! The only question is...what are we making next?!

I made a photo montage of the project on YT that you can see HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!