Friday, May 20, 2016

May Flower of the Month

Finally finished the Lila Grey May Flower of the Month piece.  I don't know why it took me so long.
I had a hard time with this one.  The background seemed a little too intense for these delicate flowers so I kept adding and changing until I felt good about it.  Lastly I colored the leaves and stems and kept the flowers white.  It stood out like a sore thumb.  UGH!  I had to put it aside again.  Then I printed a new digi (such a huge advantage of working with digi stamps is we can resize!) but a much bigger version.
I fussy cut the image and placed it over the other flower image.  After adding some color, I decided to add some pencil scratches around the lines.  LOVED IT!  Then I added a little bit of white pen marks here and there as well.

Finally happy!

Variety of Sprays
Acrylic Paints
Watercolor Markers
White Marker
Metallic Ink
Black Archival Ink
Old Dictionary Page Scraps
Text Stamp
Punchinella Stencil

To see more of these Flower of the Month pieces, go to

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Messing Around

Hello and Happy Spring! 

I decided to spend some time and just play with different medias to see what I come up with.  I'm debating on getting a Gelli plate.  They seem to be all the rage with mixed media artists as a starting point for masterboards.  I saw a YouTube video where artists used different bases like ziplock baggies, transparencies, etc.  I did not have much luck with these things.  So instead I just started layering media on the "canvas" itself.

Gosh, it's so much fun when you just play...!

Here are some samples of what I came up with.  I hope to do things like this more often and just put them aside.  I can always go back and complete projects with them especially when I don't have any creative inspiration.  They will definitely give my projects a jump start.

Give yourself permission to just play!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Scrapbooking Retreat

Woo Hoo!  My daughter and I are going to a Scrapbooking Retreat this weekend.  We'll be there from Friday afternoon to Monday mid-morning.

No cooking, no cleaning and all day and night scrapbooking (or whatever) is a dream come true!  We're heading out to Silver Spur Campgrounds in Tuolumne CA.  Going to them thar mountains!  I love it up there since my grandparents, uncles and aunts lived in the area when we were growing up.  Such a treat from the city and even the valley, where we live now.

We're all packed and ready to GO!

I'll post photos when I can.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Creating Stamps!

I'm so excited to announce that I have designed a series of stamps that are selling on the Lila Grey website.

Click HERE to check out the stamps AND purchase now to get 20% off.

I can't wait to get mine!

John 3:16;Bible Art

This verse was on my mind but I couldn't remember the whole thing.  That's pretty bad since I remembered it for years and years. So I looked through my bible and it all came back to me.

Here's my simple bible art.

I used color pencils and a fine point black pen

Thursday, April 14, 2016


Layout entry for My Creative Sketches website.  Click HERE to see the original sketch and other layouts.

This paper pad is a mixed media pad and I added extra "art" to it.  LOVE

Saturday, April 9, 2016

April Flower of the Month; Lila Grey Stamps

April's Flower of the Month is the Daisy!

I worked with this digi stamp before but I wanted to try to do something different.  I made the background awhile ago and added the flowers at the end.

Steps & Supplies:
Scribbled gelatos (Tropical Set) on a piece of transparency.  Sprayed a lot of water and then spread it all over the master board.  I did each color on its own.
Used black ink and my CTMH scalloped background stamp directly on the page.  Focused on the upper half.
White acrylic paint and harlequin stencil
Starburst background stamp (Justrite) and bright pink ink (SU!)
Silver ink pad and a punchinella stencil; here and there
Black ink with my script stamp
Silver Tattered Angels ink spray all over
Regular #2 pencil doodles
The flowers:
Used watercolor markers (Tombow) in both yellow and green
Spectrum Noir GB6 darker yellow alcohol marker
White acrylic paint and a stipple brush to add some white on the petals

Go to Lila Grey Stamps to see the recent and past Flower of the Month from the Design Team or to order stamps.CLICK HERE

I took a backgrounds class when I went to the Expo and it gave me some great ideas when working on my master boards/backgrounds.  I absolutely love mixed media!