Wednesday, August 9, 2017

WOYWW #427 and Sewing School 2017 Projects

Happy WOYWW!  Click on over to Julia's blog at Stamping Ground to learn more about WOYWW & join the link!

Well, who knew I'd have so much fun with Sewing School?! If you follow my blog, you know that I started "Sewing School" for my granddaughter. It's been awhile since I really did some sewing, but she wanted to learn and what LeAnna wants, LeAnna gets.  LOL

We decided that she'd come over every Wednesday evening & make one project a week. The first lesson, we went over rules and showing her where the needle is, etc. She played around with scrap fabric and we ended up making a Barbie pillow.
Next lesson, I had her sew lines on a sheet of paper to practice sewing straight. She concentrated so hard and did a really good job. But she was getting bored and wanted to actually make something. She said this felt too much like regular school. So we took a trip to the fabric store and bought some fabric.

So far we've made a skirt and a pillow.  Tonight, we'll work on a pillowcase nightgown. It's been forever since I've made one of these and I found this on Pinterest to spark my memory.


Here are some photos of us knee deep in Sewing School and the final projects.
Pretty butterfly skirt
Ready to GO!
Hand sewing the pillow opening
She said she likes hand sewing the best. I love that smile on her face!
She wants to make a blanket for her cat and we'll probably do an apron after that. Since school starts next week, I'm not sure how long we'll keep this up, but right now we're having fun!

Any suggestions on easy sewing projects??

10 comments:

  1. Aw Darlene, how lovely, what a great time you are having and wow, how lovely that LeAnna will be able to forever say 'my grandma taught me to sew'. Legacy, that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to say that my grandma taught me to knit (and she is long gone now). LeAnna will always remember the time you shared with her teaching this fabulous skill. She is doing a great job; must be the quality of the teaching! Happy WOYWW Sarah #25

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, what fun! and fabulous memories too for LeAnna, as the others have said. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a special post for me. You see, the elder women of my family got me started in a number of ways. Needlework was always encouraged. One birthday time, I remember being given my first sewing kit with fabric enough to begin trying to make some doll clothes.
    Tell your granddaughter that I like hand sewing the best too, except for the very l-o-n-g seams that a machine will make easier. Oh - and buttonholes!
    Project idea? What about a simple rag doll?
    Happy WOYWW!
    Rose of Rose’s Art Garden #8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Darlene, that is a lovely post. Spending such quality time together, and her learning from you, must be so much fun. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you and Leanna - good work, girls!! Lovely to see the next generation of craters taking flight :-D. What about a simple tote bag with an appliqués patch pocket or something as the next project?
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful memories you are creating for your sweet Granddaughter ... Love this post... Have a happy week ahead... May #17

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice that she wants to learn to sew! I tried with my DD, but no interest at all. I loved sewing my own clothes as a teen, but really, these days it's cheaper to buy them pre-made! Good luck with the lessons, I'm sure it will be a skill she will use her whole life! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #30

    ReplyDelete
  9. This week I start visiting last weeks WOYWW
    before I make my own post for this week.

    So sweet of you to do sewing lessons! <3
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!