Thursday, May 16, 2013

No More Old Potting Shed

I painted a blue and tan background on the original photo to create a water & sand look.  I also sprayed some gold and red glitter mist to add some shine and dimension.  Next I inked the background French script paper in blue on the top part and some desert sand on the bottom third.  I adhered the background paper and waves to the original photo.  At first I started laying the sea life down and then I thought, I need to just glue them as I go since I wanted it to have a layered look without actually having any 3D elements.  So, I glued the letters and then just started building.  I love how this turned out.  It's so much fun.  I'm not sure if the photos do it justice, but I used my Stampin' Up markers to make bubbles and to embellish the sea life.  I just kept going and going and adding and adding until I felt it was just right.

Here are some close ups:





Do you remember how it started?  It went from this:


And then this:
To the final product. 

I sanded and then painted the frame a combination of two bottles of pink acrylic paint and then used some crackle finish with white to finish the look.  I really thought, I'd keep the pink frame, but because I didn't have a full coverage on the frame (I didn't have a whole lot of paint between the two bottles), it didn't look right.

Let's see...products used...I used an assortment of different paper from my stash.  I tried to use as many scraps as possible.  I used stickles for a little bling; my white pen to accent a lot; acrylic paint from my stash; gold and red glitter mist; and the cricut machine.

Cricut cartridges used:
Life's A Beach for pretty much everything
Doodlecharms (seahorses)

Total cost for this project = $0
Everything came from my stash!  Not bad for a customized baby gift.

This is going to my friend's daughter and son-in-law (Nia and Leo).

5 comments:

  1. Dorlene, this is gorgeous! They will love this. It has so many layers and fun sea critters. This is just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is so fabulous!! What an amazing upcycle!! You decorated it perfectly!! I love all the sea critters!! Happy Friday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable! I'm so impressed that it was made from found materials:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I love what you have done with the frame and all the cricut dies. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out fabulous!!! You did an awesome, awesome job with it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!