Wednesday, July 19, 2017

WOYWW #424

Happy Wednesday!  Click on over to Stamping Ground to visit more desks and read all about the WOYWW link.


Last night my granddaughter came over for Sewing School. I promised her that I'd teach her after the wedding.


What do I know about teaching someone to sew?...not a whole lot. I showed her where the needle is and where NOT to put your fingers. Explained about the foot pedal and that she couldn't use the machine without me - blah blah blah - safety safety safety. She was already bored at that point and ready to make something! 


I don't really sew much anymore and I gave away all of my fabric collection a long time ago to my sister. Luckily, I had some fabric & batting scraps. We sewed some random scraps together so she could get the hang of the machine. She picked up pretty quickly and we eventually made two pillows; one for her Barbie and another one for her cat.  LOL


Tonight we'll go to the local fabric store to buy some material. She wants to make a blanket for her cat, a skirt, and a big pillow. As a matter of fact, the first thing she said to me last night was, "I want to make a skirt". I just responded, "OK".


I was so busy sitting with her that I didn't take a photo. I'll have to ask my DIL to take one tonight. This photo is from the weekend. She's showing off her lost teeth.


Lost her first tooth & got two for one!
Another story:
When my daughter was young, she would spend two weeks in the summer with my parents. My mother is a seamstress and sewing is her life. While Carly was there, my mom would invite some of her cousins and have Sewing School. Carly absolutely hated it! Apparently my mom was super strict and a perfectionist with the girls. Carly made some really cute things for me and her aunties for Christmas but she did not enjoy sewing at all. It's an inside joke now but hey, she did learn to sew!


About five years ago, my niece wanted to learn to sew and my mom found my old Singer Junior Miss machine. I love that machine! After my niece was done with it, my sis gave it back to me. I pulled it out so LeAnna could use it, but unfortunately the batteries were already dead and the plug wasn't in the box. (I got this photo from the internet) We'll get it going so LeAnna can sew next to me. It may be awhile, she needs to get the hang of actually sewing, but I'm sure she'll catch on quickly. She loves this kind of stuff! She's my mini-me.


Don't forget to click on over to Stamping Ground and take a peek into other craft spaces.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time with your granddaughter! Doing things with the grandkids is the best. And she gets to learn a valuable skill. Have a great week!

    Suzanne #29

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable little Junior Miss sewing machine. I had never seen or heard of one, before. I am impressed with your teaching abilities. She already made something! Wow! I do not sew anymore! I try on cards and scrap pages, but that is it. I have made a few hand quilted quilts (full size), but really have a problem putting them together on the machine! Just don't get a long with sewing machines, never did. My mother, or my daughter either. We have all sewn, but not happy doing it! LOL
    Thanks for sharing the story. # 33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a close family, and are passing down traditions from each generation.
    Have a great day! :)
    Bubbles #5
    https://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/woyww-424.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to learn to sew.. not for clothes or anything, but the odd hem repair would be good (my hem stitching is awful) but for mixed media craft projects! Helen '7

    ReplyDelete
  5. How precious is that, that you can spend that crafty time with your granddaughter even if you haven't sewn in awhile! I CAN'T SEW...AT ALL! My mother tried one time to show me, got irritated with me and asked me to move on! LOLOL I can totally understand! I've never wanted to try again, but I have other crafty hobbies to keep me busy! LOLOL Hopefully your beautiful granddaughter will take up the gift and it will be a super way for your guys to connect for future projects! LOL Have a great week....P.S., I hope the Tooth Fairy came to visit! LOLOL Felicia, #32

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, another sewing fan starts her lifelong love of fabric! You tell her from me that I'd like to see her skirt when she's done :-D. That little machine is so cute, what stories it could tell :-D
    Hugs LLJ 4 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dorlene. That's a lovely post! I taught my girls to sew and knit - and now they are teaching their children - it's good, isn't it?!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely little machine - I'm sure it will bring many more happy hours. Hazel WOYWW 12 x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased to hear we have another young person to carry on the tradition. The little machine is super cute. Hoping you have a great WOYWW, Angela x9x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you all are having great fun. Love her toothless grin!
    Have a great day!
    Diane #19

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh Dorlene what fun you've had, hope you find the cord or get new batteries and it sews perfectly for your little girl, what a cutie she is ... granddaughters are special.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable! I think every kid needs to have at least one toothless grin photo.
    Have fun with the sewing lessons. I hope you can find a cord for the little sewing machine.
    Happy belated WOYWW
    Hugs, Kay (28)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How great to pass on your skills to the next generation. My boys haven't shown much interest in learning to sew, although I have made sure that they can sew on a button LOL. Happy belated WOYWW Sarah #17

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!