Monday, January 6, 2014

Mixed Media Canvas

One of my coworkers commissioned me to make a smaller version of an art piece I made for the 2012 Apricot Fiesta's art contest.  I have it hanging in my cubicle at work and she just fell in love with it.  Since then, I've looked more closely and practiced more with mixed media and art exploration with different mediums.  The canvas looks very similar but with lots of small details.

You can see my original art piece here:

 

 And here's the one I just completed:





On the first one I made, I adhered scraps of green papers. On those scraps, I inked edges, stamped images, tore edges, or just left them as is.  On the newest one, I adhered scraps of light tan/off white papers and then covered it with a watered down green paint and some random ink splotches.  I also dabbed some white circles, black lines, random background stamps (French script).  What else?  I also smudged some silver paint, red & green glitter mist and drops of blue paint.  I painted the heart base with a purple heart and stamped "LOVE" in the center.  Outlined it with a silver paint pen and a black sharpie.  Then I glued all the shades of red (again using scrap papers) to fill the heart.

The original is 16x20 and the newest one is 12x16.  They are basically the same thing but slightly different. 

All I know is my next mixed media project is going to have even more layers!  I think that's the key...layers, layers, and more layers! 















6 comments:

  1. Sooo pretty! I'm impressed with how you're mixing up the media:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the heart full of blooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pieces! She will love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! You always do such fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful!! I've never tried any mixed media. I'm not even sure where to start. Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both so beautiful. How sweet of your co-worker to acknowledge your amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!